Thursday, March 8, 2012

108*

this morning i deactivated my facebook account.  oh, it is wonderful!

friends emailed me inquiring the prompt behind my decision... and to this i can only say...

i am tired.

as many of us are...  just tired.

technology and (mis)communication overload.

i've known this to be true for quite sometime now, but have only recently found the courage to act on my needs.  i guess, i never wanted to slight anyone.

i didn't want to miss saying happy birthday (facebook is good at reminders, i'll give it that!)

... or maybe i would offend by not commenting on a friend's new baby...

silly??  yes, i know.

and....  in the process of people pleasing... i have slighted myself.

so...

i am pulling back.

almost every morning, since her first day of kindergarten, my daughter and i recite this Shel Silverstein poem...  i have only now taken his words into my heart and acted on them...

THE VOICE

There is a voice inside of you
That whispers all day long,
“I feel that this is right for me,
I know that this is wrong.”
No teacher, preacher, parent, friend
Or wise man can decide
What’s right for you - just listen to
The voice that speaks inside.
-Shel Silverstein pg. 38 Falling Up

5 comments:

  1. My oldest (now 30) loved Shel Silverstein.. she read and collected most of his books...When she volunteered in a kindergarten class the teacher gave her "The Giving Tree".. she wrote a note inside that touches me and her as well.. The teacher thought the book was fitting for my daughter and loved how she interacted w/her students...
    As far as FB, I have had people ask and beg me to join it.. I refused.. I know my daughter didn't like the fact when FB opened themselves up to anyone who could type.. she liked the main purpose of it and I can't say I blame her..
    Kudos to you doing what you feel is right.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i adore his books...

    i think FB was a fantastic resource to reconnect with people... however, now that we are reconnected i would rather nourish these friendships through snail mail, road trips, and flying the friendly skies :) i am craving a simpler life, and FB doesn't fit in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jen! So nice to see you! I too have deactivated my FB account and feel so free and light! Thank you again for such a fun time and beautiful book. It was so hard to cut my locks but you gave me beautiful memories of them! I made a connection today with someone you know-Melinda Walsh. I made an appointment with her and through talking realized we both knew you! I'm happy to hear you are enjoying the tranquility and peace of spring! The flowers are blooming, the birds are chirping, the sun is shining.......ahhhhhh......Much love xoxo

      Jess

      Delete
    2. I've been neglecting this space, and have only just seen this comment. Hi Jess!! I love Melinda - and she is the best at what she does! Hoping to see you soon.
      xoxo

      Delete
  3. Oh I love that poem.
    Good for you for listening.
    It's tough in this day and age sometimes to pull back and see the real picture.
    But it's great when we do.
    Happy days.

    ReplyDelete

you say...